Spread the Word...Visit 3feetplease.com...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lee County Sheriff Shows His Support of the 3 Feet Please Project


After my success with the 3feetplease shirts, I turned to trying to get stickers put on Lee County vehicles to continue to spread the word about this little known Florida law. For this I turned to an individual that had helped me get "Share the Road" signs in my area, Sheriff Mike Scott. I set up a meeting with them after talking to his some of his staff.


During my meeting with Sheriff Scott we discussed the project and by the end of our meeting he agreed to discuss this with his staff. And a few days later, I learned that he agreed to try putting stickers on 100 of his marked patrol vehicles.


I was very exited about this decision. I felt that this action would not only educate motorists and bicyclists but it also made sure the deputies of our county were also aware of this law. In addition to adding the stickers, Sheriff Scott also saw that an article about bicycling was added to their internal newsletter.


It is Sheriff Mike Scott's policy to lead by example and in this case it is very clear. It also shows his value as a leader of our community. His actions have now opened the door to the possibility of getting stickers on many more Lee County vehicles in the near future. The Lee County schools and the County Manager are now considering putting stickers on other vehicles, in part, from the actions of Sheriff Mike Scott.

With the initial successes of educating the public with the 3feetplease shirts and stickers, be sure to check our next article when I tell readers what Harvey Software has decided to do to help get the 3 feet please message out to more motorists and cyclists.

No comments:

Post a Comment